Frequently Asked Questions

I would like to partake in the Summer Study Abroad Programme yet I do not speak Polish. May I still participate?

The language of instruction of all lecture courses is English. Knowledge of Polish is not essential to participate in the Summer Study Abroad Programme.

I understand that my accommodation in the university guest house is included in the tuition fee. What about the other costs of living? How much money will I need?

Breakfasts are included in the tuition fee, other meals are not. Kraków offers meals for every budget, beginning with cooking at home and working upward through student canteens and popular milk bars to an international menu of restaurants. Students should find that a minimum of US $900 for the 6-week stay will provide for secure and comfortable living. This figure is given as a guideline only.

Do I need a Polish student visa to partake in the Summer Study Abroad Programme?

Student of IPS. Considering the length of the Summer Study Abroad Programme, the answer depends on your citizenship. If you are a citizen of the United States, Canada, Japan, or the European Union, you are not required to be in possession of a student entry visa for stays less than 90 days. If you are a citizen of another country, click here for the list of countries exempted from obligatory entry visas.

We will be crossing the Polish border once as a group, on the study trip to Ukraine, and you will be allowed re-entry to Poland without a visa. You are officially allowed re-entry to Poland once in a span of 180 days without possession of a visa. That being said, if you are planning on visiting other countries on your own, say Prague or Vienna for a weekend, you should get a multiple-entry Polish student visa.

The process of acquiring a Polish visa is fairly simple for foreign students. The application process is initiated at the Polish consulate closest to your home. You will want to apply for a multiple-entry student visa. The visa should be issued free of cost but please be aware that theory does not always meet practice in this matter. Polish consulates are given much lee-way and independence in interpreting existing rules and regulations and have been known to charge for student visas.

You will need to provide for the consulate the following:

1. A valid passport with the date of expiry at least 3 months after the date of your required departure from Poland.

2. One colour 4.5 cm. x 3.5 cm. photograph.

3. A letter of confirmation of acceptance to the Study Abroad Programme addressed to the consulate from the Jagiellonian University. The Department of IPS will send this letter to you upon acceptance to the Programme.

4. Documentation proving you have the financial means to travel to and from Poland and to financially support yourself during your study stay in Poland without recourse to gaining employment while residing in Poland. A photocopy or printout of your bank statement or other documents showing you have or are to receive grants or loans will suffice.

5. A completed application form. Application forms are available at each consulate or can be downloaded from here.

You may be requested to provide supplementary documents. Usually this will take the form of providing medical insurance documents.


  Study Abroad 


 Comparative Heritage Studies, MA


   Interdisciplinary MA


       Cultural Studies
     in Literary Interzones